Note: Part 2 of the RIC-Americas Recap will cover events that occurred on March 4.
The ROS-Industrial Consortium Americas annual meeting was held March 3-4 at SwRI's headquarters in San Antonio, TX. March 3 events included an introduction to SwRI, 16 lab demonstrations, a keynote presentation about the ways that ROS is adding intelligence to a five-story tall mobile robotic aircraft depainting system, and an introduction to the ROS-Industrial Consortium. More than 50 people attended representing a cross section of ROS-Industrial stakeholders including automation equipment OEMs, end users, researchers, and government. During the demonstrations, the noise of numerous discussions gave the event a palpable buzz. While still relatively young, we heard a number of attendees remark that ROS-Industrial has momentum.
Special thanks to our demonstration teams and presenters:
- Autonomous Vehicle Test Rides. Chris Mentzer, Kris Kozak, Mark Alban, Ed Venator, SwRI.
- Large-scale Mobile Robotic Laser Depainting. Clay Flannigan and Michael Rigney, SwRI.
- Descartes Constrained Cartesian
Motion Planner. Christina Gomez, SwRI.
- Dual Arm Mobile Manipulation. Andrew
Sharp, UT Austin NRG.
- Euler Mobile Order Fulfillment. Jorge Nicho, SwRI.
- FlexGUI. Trygve Thomessen, PPM AS.
- Heavy Equipment Simulator (not ROS,
but still cool). Susan Porter, SwRI.
- Human-centered Teleoperation for
High-precision Tasks aka “Thread the
Needle”. Karl Kruusamäe, UT Austin
- Intrinsic Calibration. Chris Lewis, SwRI.
- Package Singulation. Shaun Edwards,
- Ragnar 2D Vision/Replication. Alex
- Ragnar Demonstration. Preben Hjornet,
- Robotic Blending. Jonathan Meyer,
- Scan-N-Plan for CAD-Free Painting.
Michael Blanton, SwRI.
- STOMP Free-space Motion Planner. Levi
- Thunder Motion Planner. Dave
Coleman, CU Boulder.
- Introduction to SwRI. Paul Evans, SwRI.
- Space Science. Philip Valek, SwRI.
- Large Robots Need Smart Controls. Jeremy Zoss, SwRI.
- Introduction to the ROS-Industrial Consortium. Paul Hvass, SwRI.